He helps with tasks, but I still carry the mental load of the whole house

Post Reply
MarriedGal
Posts: 5
Joined: 1 year ago
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

My husband does help, and I want to be fair about that.

If I ask him to unload the dishwasher, he will. If I remind him the kids need baths, he’ll do baths. If I text him that we need milk, paper towels, and more toothpaste, he’ll stop at the store on the way home.

So this is not one of those situations where he sits around doing nothing.

But I still feel like I carry the whole house in my head.

I’m the one keeping track of what we’re low on before we run out. I’m the one remembering spirit day, library books, the form that has to be signed by Friday, the birthday party gift for Saturday, the dentist appointment next week, and the fact that the dog’s medicine is almost out. I’m the one thinking ahead about dinner tomorrow while cleaning up dinner tonight.

That’s the part that’s exhausting me.

Not just doing things.
Knowing. Tracking. Anticipating. Remembering. Noticing.

Sometimes I feel like he helps with the visible work, but I’m still responsible for the invisible work that makes the house function.

And what’s hard is that from the outside, it probably looks shared. He does do things. So then I feel guilty even bringing this up, because it sounds ungrateful. But I don’t think “he does tasks when I ask” is the same thing as shared responsibility.

The best way I can describe it is if I stopped thinking about everything for 3 days, the house would implode.

Lunch stuff would run out. Someone would forget something for school. The wet laundry would sit too long. We’d realize too late we were out of shampoo or dishwasher pods. The pediatrician callback would get missed. The birthday card wouldn’t get sent.

I don’t know how to explain that the constant mental tracking is the part that’s burning me out.

Has anyone actually improved this in their marriage?

Not just “my husband started doing more chores,” but actually sharing the mental side of running a home? Like him owning a whole category without me having to be the person who notices, reminds, and follows up?

I’d really love to hear what this looks like in real life, because I feel like “help” and “ownership” are not the same thing.
JustPeachy88
Posts: 21
Joined: 1 year ago
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Yes, and I think the sentence that changed everything for me was:

“I do not need more help. I need less management.”

Because that was our exact problem. My husband was willing, but I was still the one carrying the responsibility for making sure things happened.

He would say, “Just tell me what needs to be done,” and I finally said, “That still leaves me in charge.”

That was the first time I think he understood that the planning itself is work.
BakingQueen
Posts: 5
Joined: 1 year ago
Contact:

This is exactly my life.

My husband is a good man. He works hard. He's not lazy. He will do almost anything I ask.

But I’m still the one who knows:

-we only have 3 yogurt cups left

-our son needs black pants for the school concert

-the baby is almost out of overnight diapers

-the teacher sent a message I need to answer

-the towels in the washer have been there since this morning

That running list in my head never fully turns off.

Even when I sit down at night, I’m not really sitting down. I’m mentally lining up tomorrow.
QueenDaenerys
Posts: 6
Joined: 1 year ago
Contact:

I’m going to be the slight dissent here.

Mental load is definitatley real, but in my case I also have to admit I was making it worse by not letting go of control. I wanted him to take ownership, but I also wanted him to do it my way, on my timeline, with my standards.

So I would say I wanted help, but then I’d correct how he packed lunches, how he handled school emails, how he loaded the dishwasher, which basically trained him that I was still in charge.

Again, I am not saying this is all on women. Not at all. But for me, part of the fix was accepting “different” instead of “wrong.”

That was honestly very hard for me.
Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post