Last Tuesday at 9:12 p.m., I was in my kitchen holding a half-empty bottle of dish soap. I stared at a sticky note that said “more soap,” and I felt this weird, irrashonal anger, like the note was making fun of me. Buying soap is easy, but I was the only one who noticied it was almost out, again. And then it hit me, I’m not doing more, I’m thinking more.
That’s what people miss when they talk about “helping around the house.” The chores you can see, like laundry, dishes, and dinner, are just the top part. Under that is the running list in your head: what is about to run out, what’s coming up, what’s late, what needs to be reserch, planned, bought, packed, reminded, and stopped before it turns into a bigger problem.
I wanted to prove I wasn’t overreacting, so I did something kinda wild. For 48 hours, I wrote down every single thing I carried in my head that I didn’t actually finish as a task. Not “I cleaned the kitchen.” I wrote stuff like: “The sponge smells weird, need to replace it,” “Picture day is Friday, find the shirt,” “Checked the school app,” “Tracked when the perscription runs out,” “Noticed the trash can is cracking,” “Remembered we’re low on $8 batteries,” “Practiced what to say to the dentist office because I hate phone calls,” “Guessed how long bedtime will take based on everyone’s mood.”
By the end of day two, my list was over 70 lines. And yep, most lines weren’t chores. They were ownership. I was acting like the project manager of a small, chaotic company where nobody checks the calender unless I point at it.
Here’s my best picture of it: chores are like the dishes you can see on the counter, but mental load is like a computer running in the background. It uses power even when the screen looks quiet. You can sit down and “rest,” but still feel tired because your brain is keeping a bunch of tabs open so the house doesn’t crash.
My brain is extra sensitive to this because of ADHD. If I don’t hold the plan in my head, I worry it will disappear, so I grab onto everything. Me and my brain was doing this nonstop. And it can cause tension, because when a partner says, “Just tell me what to do,” it make it sound like, “So you want me to be your manager too?” Even if they don’t mean it that way. Nope, that doesn’t feel good.
So when I ask, “What counts as mental load?” I mean the whole thing, not just doing tasks, but: noticing what needs to be done, predicting what will be needed, making decisions, delegatng (and following up), carrying the consequences if it doesn’t happen, being the default “memory” of the house etc...
If you’ve ever felt exausted on a day you “didn’t do that much,” what are the top 5 things you’re carrying right now that nobody else even knows you’re tracking?
I’m not doing more… I’m thinking more.” What counts as mental load?
-
Laurie_Randazzo
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 1 year ago
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Contact:
I started thinking about mental load like inventory vs ownership. Inventory is “I see the soap is low.” Ownership is “I’m the one who will notice it, decide what brand, put it on the list, remember the list exists, and make sure it actually appears in the house.”
What helped me stop arguing in circles was making a quick “ownership map” for one week. Not a chore chart. A decision-tracking chart. Three columns: Notice → Decide → Follow-through. If one person is doing all three, that’s mental load. If someone only “helps” on the follow-through column, they’re not carrying the load, they’re executing tasks.
And here’s the constraint that mattered in my house: if something is only “delegated” by a verbal request, it boomerangs back to me because I’m still tracking it. The only delegation that counts is when the other person becomes the default owner of that domain (like all school emails, or all pharmacy refills), including the annoying follow-ups.
What helped me stop arguing in circles was making a quick “ownership map” for one week. Not a chore chart. A decision-tracking chart. Three columns: Notice → Decide → Follow-through. If one person is doing all three, that’s mental load. If someone only “helps” on the follow-through column, they’re not carrying the load, they’re executing tasks.
And here’s the constraint that mattered in my house: if something is only “delegated” by a verbal request, it boomerangs back to me because I’m still tracking it. The only delegation that counts is when the other person becomes the default owner of that domain (like all school emails, or all pharmacy refills), including the annoying follow-ups.
-
- Similar Topics
- Replies
- Views
- Last post
-
- 3 Replies
- 793 Views
-
Last post by QueenDaenerys
-
- 3 Replies
- 907 Views
-
Last post by JustPeachy88
-
- 0 Replies
- 744 Views
-
Last post by Laurie_Randazzo
-
- 0 Replies
- 534 Views
-
Last post by KarenNotThatKaren
-
- 0 Replies
- 699 Views
-
Last post by AllieFromAlaska
