I'm really getting fed up!
What should I do if my 6 year old is a very picky eater
-
Laurie_Randazzo
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 1 year ago
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Contact:
My 6 year old only likes french fries. Every other food is a struggle session - begging, bribing, threatening are used to get him to to eat a protein or a vegetable.
I'm really getting fed up!
I'm really getting fed up!
-
SkinnyMini
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 11 months ago
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Eating together with your kids serves as a model to them.
Your kid watches you. Eat the food you want them to eat.
Talk about taste and texture, not health. “Crunchy” beats “good for you.”
Let them help with picking the food.
Kids who help shop, wash, or stir are more open to tasting.
Choice helps. “Do you want carrots or cucumbers?” feels safer than surprise food. This works particularly well because kids want to feel in control. By giving them 3 "healthy choices" you both win.
Your kid watches you. Eat the food you want them to eat.
Talk about taste and texture, not health. “Crunchy” beats “good for you.”
Let them help with picking the food.
Kids who help shop, wash, or stir are more open to tasting.
Choice helps. “Do you want carrots or cucumbers?” feels safer than surprise food. This works particularly well because kids want to feel in control. By giving them 3 "healthy choices" you both win.
- MommaMurphy
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 1 year ago
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
I think as a general rule you should not label your kids.
Labeling them as "picky" creates an identity. Talk about learning to like foods. Praise trying, not finishing.
There's this concept in psychology of static and dynamic mindsets.
A static mindset accepts a certain way of being and doesn't believe change is possible. Dynamic is the opposite. Labeling can give your kid a static mindset or an identity and once that's established it's hard to reverse.
Psychologist Carol Dweck talks about a growth mindset in her book if anybody want to learn more about this subject.
I must confess, I stole her idea and renamed it because I thought my naming is better because they both end with "ic" and I honestly don't remember what she uses for the opposite of "growth"
Labeling them as "picky" creates an identity. Talk about learning to like foods. Praise trying, not finishing.
There's this concept in psychology of static and dynamic mindsets.
A static mindset accepts a certain way of being and doesn't believe change is possible. Dynamic is the opposite. Labeling can give your kid a static mindset or an identity and once that's established it's hard to reverse.
Psychologist Carol Dweck talks about a growth mindset in her book if anybody want to learn more about this subject.
I must confess, I stole her idea and renamed it because I thought my naming is better because they both end with "ic" and I honestly don't remember what she uses for the opposite of "growth"
-
- Similar Topics
- Replies
- Views
- Last post
-
- 1 Replies
- 336 Views
-
Last post by QueenDaenerys
-
- 5 Replies
- 35 Views
-
Last post by CorgiHousehold
-
- 1 Replies
- 434 Views
-
Last post by RachelM98
-
- 0 Replies
- 688 Views
-
Last post by SamIam94
